Some features to look forward to:
1.) "PATRICK'S POP UP(DATES)" will feature stories from pop culture, music, theater, fashion, and the entertainment industry at large.
2.) "The Life of Riley" will also introduce a "take-a-look-at-your-life" section (READ: sort of an advice column), where I will help readers come up with their own questions and answers around what "ways of being" are working (or not working) to have them acheive their respective goals and live their best lives. This section is called "WHO YOU BE?".
3.) Additonally, there will be a free-flowing, organic section called "TESTIFY" from which I will pull from my own life's journey to share and hopefully inspire. Some of the fare may be new musings and experiences. Other times, I may pull from my journals and past sharings to shed light on some uncomfortable truths that I've experienced and that may perhaps play a role in healing someone else's wounds as the real-life experience did for me. From my experience of covering 9/11 as a freelance journalist to courageously coming out (as gay) to my family, "TESTIFY" promises to move those who choose to read it.
4.) And a section titled "PR" (like my initials, but also like "public relations") will include press clips from any coverage I get.
Walk Tall Girl Productions brings FREE Broadway TIX to ALL STAR KARAOKE at MIST Harlem on Sun Oct 30 at NOON
THIS JUST IN!
1. #ALLSTARKARAOKE at #MISTHARLEM is HAPPY TO REPORT that my dear sister friend in the #LIFEOFRILEY, Marcia Pendelton and her WALK TALL GIRL PRODUCTIONS, are coming on board to PARTNER with us Sunday, October 30, 2016 from NOON until 5p!
WALK TALL GIRL PRODUCTIONS SOCIAL MEDIA:
My social media:
2. Any THEATER LOVERS out there!!!?????? Well, you may want to beef up on your THEATER knowledge because WALK TALL GIRL PRODUCTIONS is bringing a SWEEP of TICKETS for some of the HOTTEST SHOWS the New York City STAGES have to offer – from iconic theatres: Manhattan Theatre Club; Signature Theatre; Public Theater; and The New Group. Throughout the afternoon - between karaoke selections - we will be SHOUTING OUT some "theater trivia" for our guests to answer. The first right answer each time will get you a pair of tickets to one of these spectacular shows coming to Broadway and Off-Broadway. WALK TALL GIRL PRODUCTIONS has partnered with ALL STAR KARAOKE for years - including successful activations with MOTOWN THE MUSICAL and more!
3. TICKET GIVEAWAYS for the following productions:
- August Wilson's Jitney on Broadway directed by Ruben Santiago-Hudson (presented by the Manhattan Theatre Club)
- Master Harold...and the boys (Signature Theatre)
-The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World AKA The Negro Book of the Dead by Pulitzer Prize Winner Suzan-Lori Parks (Signature Theatre)
- Party People featuring Universes; developed and directed by Liesl Tommy (Eclipsed) (Public Theater)
-Sweet Charity -- a fresh interpretation of the musical featuring a multicultural cast and starring two-time Tony winner Sutton Foster (The New Group)
4. ADDITIONAL TICKET GIVEAWAYS: The $5 COVER for #ALLSTARKARAOKE gets you in the door; qualifies you to participate in a RAFFLE to win:
* a pair of tickets to see “The Color Purple” on Broadway
* a pair of tickets to see SWEET at “The National Black Theatre”
* a MISS JESSIE’s VIP bag of FULL-SIZED PRODUCT; National Best Seller “Miss Jessie’s: Creating a Successful Business from Scratch – Naturally” (Harper Collins/Amistad) [available in paperback January 2017]; and more!
5. Our #ALLSTARKARAOKE presenting sponsor MISS JESSIE’s will be in the house with MISS JESSIE'S SAMPLE BAG GIVEAWAYS for ALL GUESTS!
6. #ALLSTARKARAOKE Artist-in-Residence Contemporary Artist Shenna Vaughn will have items for exhibit and sale. Plus, she’ll have an announcement on how you can own your own #ShennaVaughn
7. #SWEET is the debut piece for the National Black Theatre’s 48th Season: IN PURSUIT OF BLACK JOY. The cast of SWEET offers up a DISCOUNT CODE to all of our #LIFEOFRILEY and #ALLSTARKARAOKE fam. Just go to the National Black Theatre: www.Nationalblacktheatre.orgor call 212-352-3101 and use code RISE.
8. MEANWHILE, let us see you at our SEASON of FOUR #ALLSTARKARAOKE brunches at #MISTHARLEM – starting Sunday, October 30, 2016 from NOON to 5p (Costumes welcome).
9. We'll get in as many songs as we can while enjoying our ALL STAR KARAOKE company one more time while also celebrating the birthday of KIANA!!!
10. ALL STAR KARAOKE is powered by Derrick Styles from#KARAOKESUNDAYS in Mount Vernon’s #BUNGALOW, HOST of the OFFICIAL “ALL STAR KARAOKE” AFTER SET on Sunday Nights – from 9p to 2am: 523 S Fulton Ave.
11. SOME KEY SOCIAL MEDIA and HASHTAGS
12. EVENTBRITE LINK here:
• a pair of tickets for THE COLOR PURPLE on Broadway;
• a pair of tickets for SWEET, The National Black Theatre; etc.
4. #ALLSTARKARAOKE Artist-in-Residence Contemporary Artist Shenna Vaughn will have items for exhibit and sale. Plus, she’ll have an announcement on how you can own your own #ShennaVaughn
6. MEANWHILE, let us see you at our SEASON of FOUR #ALLSTARKARAOKE brunches at #MISTHARLEM – starting Sunday, October 30, 2016 from NOON to 5p (Costumes welcome).
EVENTBRITE LINK here:
EVENTBRITE LINK here: www.all_star_karaoke_brunch.eventbrite.com/
Hi ALL STAR KARAOKE FAM!
You've been asking "When is ALL STAR KARAOKE coming back?" Well, we will be returning to MIST Harlem for a handful of ALL STAR KARAOKE brunches over the next five months - starting SUNDAY, OCTOBER 30, 2016 from NOON to 5p. $50 EXPERIENCE includes: delicious brunch, many mimosas, amazing karaoke, MISS JESSIE's give-aways, and MORE SURPRISES! Since it's HALLOWEEN EVE, please feel free to wear a COSTUME (but not mandatory)! We'll get in as many songs as we can while enjoying our ALL STAR KARAOKE company one more time!
Here are video recaps of our last two MIST Harlem ALL STAR KARAOKE brunches.
ALWAYS A BLAST:
* NOVEMBER 2015: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq1uovrAx0o.
* VALENTINE'S DAY BRUNCH 2015: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p9VidQr3uU
RESERVATIONS are highly recommended.
Please call 212.828.6478.
For more information, please click here: www.mistharlem.com/events.
And let us know here if you will be GOING: https://www.facebook.com/events/1753070518275894/!
As always, THANKS FOR YOUR SUPPORT!
Patrick L. Riley
Host, ALL STAR KARAOKE
FAMU 2016 William Hearst Visiting Professional
I have to SHOUT OUT WENDY WILLIAMS for taking time out of her busy schedule (in preps for NEW SEASON: now back as of this week) to say HI and offer words of WISDOM to two of my FAMU mentees: Alexis Lockhart and Steven Byrd-Pitts – both Senior, Public Relations Majors at FAMU’s School of Journalism and Graphic Communications. They are in town for NYC Fashion Week…and I am hosting them (and curating opportunities) for these #HBCUScholars while they are in town. It’s been quite a whirlwind of fashion shows...and go-and-come-sees! LOL!Plus, LIFE OF RILEY plucked from our rolodex to create special moments and meetings for the kids – including WENDY and several others who Alexis and Steven got to see and/or contact during (and even after) their time here - shaping their own rolodexes to help carve out their respective career starts. The list is endless of folks who referred; responded; relayed...but I'm going to try to THANK a few who went above and beyond: supermodel Veronica Webb; Miss Jessie's Co-Founder, CEO, and Creative Director Miko Branch; Emmy-award-winning correspondent at GMA, Mara Schiavocampo; Tony-award-winning producer Randolph Sturrup (FAMU grad and Executive Producer of ASPiRE TV's new docu-series about 6 HBCU alums living in NYC - including my nephew Herman Riley III, rep'ing for our alma mater Morehouse); Fashion/Theater/Event Producer Carl Nelson ("Drums Along The Hudson"); international model and Beyonce leading man from the video “Irreplaceable”, Bobby Roache; Creative Director Mykel Cortez Smith; Fashion producer/talent representative Ron Smith; celebrity stylist June Ambrose (who was at the TOP of Alexis and Steven's WISH-LIST); designer Edwing D’Angelo (and his publicist Michelle Pascal); Wendy's amazing stylist Memsor (who also let the kids follow him to a Fashion Week Presentation); entertainment publicists Theo Perry, Morehouse brother Trevor Julien (who arranged for Basketball Wives Laura Govan to share her style tips with the FAMU scholars), and Tagan Lee & Associates' Tagan Lee; digital diva Marcia Cole; NBCBLK’s Amber Payne; entertainment journalist Alicia Quarles; New York Times’ Nikita Stewart Henderson; and many more! Though I’m a proud Morehouse Man, I consider it a total honor that Dean of Florida A&M University’s School of Journalism and Graphic Communications, Dr. Ann Wead Kimbrough, has added me to its impressive roster of 2016 William Hearst Visiting Professionals. I am third in a series of outstanding media professionals who bring value to the rich teaching within FAMU’s SJGC.This is an encore partnership with FAMU's SJGC. I was invited to Keynote its NABJ Multimedia Short Course a couple of years ago. Thanks young folks...and Dean Kimbrough!
Boys & Girls Clubs of America and Disney
So LIFE OF RILEY knew and teased, but now I can SCREAM IT FROM THE RAFTERS - especially now that the artwork is soon to be released: my FAV NEPHEW Herman Lee Riley III is a cast-mate in docu-series THE GRADUATES NYC – a new show that will chronicle the NYC LIVING of HBCU ALUMS in the MILLENNIAL SET! COMING THIS FALL!!!! My nephew hails from our alma mater Morehouse College while each of the other cast members are alums of other #HBCUs. The digital show will also air on ASPIRE during the halftime of the live HBCU football games on ASPiRE. Check out ASPIRE.TV for episodes and more information! CONGRATS NOOT! SO PROUD! Here’s a PREVIEW: http://www.aspire.tv/videos/the-graduates-new-series-preview/. Esteemed Broadway producer Randolph Sturrup ("A Streetcar Named Desire", "The Trip to Bountiful" and "Eclipsed") and seasoned TV News exec Keith Michael Brown are producing this project along with Al Roker Productions. So, these kids are in great hands! Special THANKS to Herman and Randolph for making time for my #HBCUscholars from #FAMU: Alexis Lockhart and Steven Michael Byrd-Pitts.
#LIFEOFRILEY #PETTYCASHNYC #HERMANLRILEYIII #HLRIII #THEGRADUATES #ASPIRE #ASPIRETV Coming this Fall... Stay tuned! #ASPiRE #HBCUpride #MorehouseCollege
THIS IS LOVING
Shout out to Tagan Lee & Associates who always make sure LIFE OF RILEY is IN THE HOUSE for AMAZING OPPORTUNITIES! Was a panelist alongside journalist and friend Alicia Quarles for a Q&A that was moderated by NBCBLK's Amber Payne for an INVITATION ONLY influencer/tastemaker screening of Focus Features film LOVING, which comes out in November!
This much-buzzed about film tells the story of Loving v. Virginia, a Supreme Court decision that makes it legal to marry between races. One of my most recent assignments for "Oprah: Where Are They Now?" captured Richard Pryor's daughter Rain Pryor - referencing her parents' marriage (Her mother is a white Jewish woman) and what that was like four years after the ruling:
http://www.wherearetheynow.buzz/richard-pryors-daughter-describes-the-racism-her-family-endured. I'm excited one of my FAMU mentees Steven Byrd Pitts joined me for the special occasion in Tribeca as well as MISS JESSIE's Co-Founder, CEO, and Creative Director Miko Branch.
ABOUT THE FILM LOVING: From acclaimed writer/director Jeff Nichols, Loving celebrates the real-life courage and commitment of an interracial couple, Richard and Mildred Loving (portrayed by Joel Edgerton and Ruth Negga), who married and then spent the next nine years fighting for the right to live as a family in their hometown. Their civil rights case, Loving v. Virginia, went all the way to the Supreme Court, which in 1967 reaffirmed the very foundation of the right to marry - and their love story has become an inspiration to couples ever since. Loving will open form Focus Features in theaters in select cities on November 4, and will expand across the country later in November.
Watch the trailer for LOVING
For more information, please follow us online:
FACEBOOK I TWITTER I INSTAGRAM
So excited that Creative Director and friend Mykel C. Smith invited my FAMU mentee Steven Michael Byrd-Pitts out to celebrate close out of Fashion Week…and the celebration of the September 2016 Style Issue #21 of W42ST. FAMU’s own Kendra Foster – Grammy-award-winning singer songwriter – performed brilliantly! Ant has adored her music all Summer 2016! And so nice to connect two RATTLERS! Steven and Kendra had a LOVE FEST over their college in common! Cloak & Dagger brought the music…and it was great to wrap a wonderful week! Ant, Steven, and I capped night off with some KARAOKE at RADIO STAR before calling it a night! I’ll be next working with these students on managing their follow ups – so they can stay engaged with the many mentors they met and so they can begin to shape up steps towards starting their post-graduate careers. THANKS TO ALL who were so kind to the young #HBCUscholars from #FAMU #SJGC.
STEPS at URBAN WORLD FILM FESTIVAL
The Shaquille-O’neal/Michael Baumgartner Executive-Produced Steps screened at Newark International Film Festival to an enthusiastic audience! Thanks everyone for all your love and support of STEPS...and my character "Rudy", my film debut.Next up: UrbanWorld Film Festival.COME WITNESS the MAGIC!
Get tickets: http://www.urbanworld.org/2016/steps (Scroll to bottom of page) Like our Page on facebook StepsUrbanworld Film Festival
Use our Hashtags
#UW20. http://newarkiff.com/. $10.00. #stepsthemovie.info www.stepsthemovie.info
XSCAPE PUERTO RICO 2017
...as I update LIFE OF RILEY, I'm watching Monifah Carter and the R&B Divas: Atlanta on TV One’s SUNDAY Marathon, I’m reminded to remind you to join Monifah Carter, more, and me for my new Memorial Day Weekend tradition: Xscape Puerto Rico 2017 - LGBT Arts & Culture Music Festival!
When: May 26 - 29, 2017
Host Resort: Grand Wyndham Resort & Spa (All Inclusive)
Celebrity Ambassadors, Live Performances, Workshops, Vanguard Awards, Pool Party & Fashion Show, Excursions and so much more!!
P.S. Monifah and I are gonna have to find a microphone:
ALL STAR KARAOKE SIZZLE W/MONIFAH:https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152123074463737&set=vb.662073736&type=3&theater
KEKE WYATT: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152177726443737&set=vb.662073736&type=3&theater
KEKE WYATT & HOST: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152166354908737&set=vb.662073736&type=3&theater
ALL STAR KARAOKE SIZZLE W/MONIFAH “Something to Talk About”:https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152123074463737&set=vb.662073736&type=3&theater
MONIFAH “One Moment”: https://youtu.be/v4iPJUhdnZ4
MONIFAH “Getting in the Way”:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_2xHo2iRNQ
MONIFAH & PATRICK “Best of My Love”:https://www.facebook.com/patrick.l.riley/videos/10153006964663737/?l=5788490014611877465
MONIFAH “Our Love” – PART 1:
MONIFAH “OUR LOVE” – PART 2:
Motown May's Grand Finale WINNER at "Billie's Black Presents All Star Karaoke with Patrick L. Riley" is one of my nearest and dearest brother friends. Since his win got him on the Motown the Musical on Broadway stage, I have to see him everywhere he performs. So, Fashion Week weekend, we made time to see him at Silvana in Harlem. HUSAIN ROCKS - including his first single "Summer Rain".
AN EARLY THANKSGIVING
An early Thanksgiving welcoming Ant back to NYC was most welcomed by him as it has been a difficult summer, shaken life-changingly with the loss of his amazing dad. We are so grateful to our New York City fam who stem from our roots in Savannah and Denver; school daze; NABJ; and LIFE! We shout out Mario, Nikita, Brian, Ern, and Lamoh for this meal, prepared in LOVE and with all of the ingredients to lift Ant's and my spirits up! MISSION ACCOMPLISHED! #SoBlessed #Ourcurrentsituation