Some features to look forward to:
1.) "PATRICK'S POP UP(DATES)" will feature stories from pop culture, music, theater, fashion, and the entertainment industry at large.
2.) "The Life of Riley" will also introduce a "take-a-look-at-your-life" section (READ: sort of an advice column), where I will help readers come up with their own questions and answers around what "ways of being" are working (or not working) to have them acheive their respective goals and live their best lives. This section is called "WHO YOU BE?".
3.) Additonally, there will be a free-flowing, organic section called "TESTIFY" from which I will pull from my own life's journey to share and hopefully inspire. Some of the fare may be new musings and experiences. Other times, I may pull from my journals and past sharings to shed light on some uncomfortable truths that I've experienced and that may perhaps play a role in healing someone else's wounds as the real-life experience did for me. From my experience of covering 9/11 as a freelance journalist to courageously coming out (as gay) to my family, "TESTIFY" promises to move those who choose to read it.
4.) And a section titled "PR" (like my initials, but also like "public relations") will include press clips from any coverage I get.
Entries in The Color Purple (4)
So the reps for Brazilian HEART-THROB Alex Cypriano let me know they
were bringing him to town and he wanted to say HI to #LIFEOFRILEY –
aware that we have introduced some amazing talent from the world of
Alex wanted me to tell you HI but also wanted to give me a wonderful
BIRTHDAY gift of VERSACE gear! THANK YOU, ALEX! Here are his stats so
far: Currently in LA; 20 years old; Actor/Model; 2015 "Mr. Teen Tampa";
Represented By MC2 Miami; ETC. Stay tuned for the rest! #LIFEOFRILEY
is watching…and will keep you posted!#AlexCypriano is a BEAUTIFUL LOOK OUT FOR HIS BRIGHT FUTURE! Bring
your SUNGLASSES! It’s BLINDING! Thanks for the Versace head to toe! Perfect for my birthday!
man - inside and out!
11. Hi folks! You know how much I LOVE Spirited Actor’s own Tracey Moore who
– over the years - has breathed life into the world through a powerful testimonial
in action of acting, casting, producing, directing, hosting...and now hosting this
project alongside everything else.
I even audited her Spirited Actor course when she started it in 1995…
and I continue to remain close to Tracey and her family who ARE my
family. In a nutshell, Tracey Moore ROCKS…and SHARES – so I was
too elated that she welcomed ACTORS to be in her Studio Audience
for her PILOT: “Inside the Black Box with Tracey Moore”. She shot
it at The Sheen Center in The Village.
Her guests for the pilot included awesome actors Malik Yoba and Joe Morton
with whom I got to share that I always had an “identification” with him (even
as a child when he played Fred Sanford’s BFF Grady’s son-in-law). We connected
that our mutual, international military “brat” history may be what I saw! This show
is lively and fun! Tracey is the best HOST and ACTING COACH. The guests inspired
and motivated ALL!
12.. Ant and I will celebrate 11 years at "The Color Purple" - the very show we were
attending when we met December 1, 2005. This time, we'll see Jennifer Holliday as Shug Avery!
So excited! Hope you've had the chance to see my NBCBLK interview
with Miss Holliday:http://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/broadway-queen-jennifer-holliday-s-next-act-color-purple-n662641
13. President Obama Names Recipients of the Presidential Medal of Freedom…
and among them is someone I hoped silently would get it now (vs. later):
MISS ROSS! Today, President Barack Obama named 21 recipients of the
Presidential Medal of Freedom – including Diana Ross – encapsulated in
bio via the White House release as follows: “Diana Ross has had an iconic
career spanning more than 50 years within the entertainment industry in
music, film, television, theater, and fashion. Diana Ross is an Academy Award nominee, inductee into the
Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, and recipient of the Grammy Awards
highest honor, the Lifetime Achievement Award. Ross was a
recipient of the 2007 Kennedy Center Honors. Diana Ross's
greatest legacy is her five wonderful children.” The Presidential
Medal of Freedom is the Nation's highest civilian honor, presented
to individuals who have made especially meritorious contributions
to the security or national interests of the United States, to world
peace, or to cultural or other significant public or private endeavors.
The awards will be presented at the White House on November 22nd. President Obama said, "The Presidential Medal of Freedom is not just our nation's highest civilian honor - it's a tribute to the idea that all of us, no matter where we come from, have the opportunity to change this country for the better. From scientists, philanthropists, and public servants to activists, athletes, and artists, these 21 individuals have helped push America forward, inspiring millions of people around the world along the way."This event will be streamed live at: www.whitehouse.gov/live
A (BIRTHDAY) IN THE LIFE OF RILEY is looking like this…
1. A #LIFEOFRILEY INTERVIEW WITH JENNIFER HOLLIDAY FOR NBCBLK: http://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/broadway-queen-jennifer-holliday-s-next-act-color-purple-n662641 My birthday is this weekend! A gift to me that I can share with you my Q&A with one of the DIVAS who serves as an EXEMPLAR for what #LIFEOFRILEY LOVES and CELEBRATES: Jennifer Holliday! In our comprehensive chat, we cover a lot of ground – including talk of her iconic role as Effie White and what relations are like today with her fellow Dreamgirls Sheryl Lee Ralph and Loretta Devine) plus what being on Broadway again - in Tony-award-winning Musical Revival "The Color Purple" - is like. You can PUSH DA BUTTON for your COLOR PURPLE tickets here (Ticket prices start at $59): https://www.telecharge.com/Broadway/The-Color-Purple/Overview. #TheColorPurple #ColorPurple#Dreamgirls #JenniferHolliday #HollidayFORTHEHolidays
2. Always good to contribute to #NBCBLK:
* NBCBLK - Aretha Franklin birthday party
* NBCBLK posted an EMPIRE/Aretha Franklin viral as well. https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1553278574945680&set
* Q&A with LEE DANIELS
* FOREST WHITAKER Q&A just posted - promoting SOUTHPAW:
* THE WIZ LIVE's NEW DOROTHY:
Patrick L. Riley
LIFE OF RILEY
3. I sing Holliday and Dreamgirls all the time at #AllStarKaraoke: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_pVZZ9GCm4! Next up: THIS Sunday, November 20th from Noon to 5p at MIST Harlem. For $5, guests qualify for BROADWAY/THEATER GIVEAWAYS and FREE MISS JESSIE’S! Plus, the menu has a range of delicious options and pricings (including $20 carafes of mimosa and sangria) and ALL STAR KARAOKE! Also look for more art from Artist-in-Residence Shenna Vaughn and friends – including Scorpio artists Ruthy Valdez and Richard S. Carroll Jr. Also look for my nephew Herman L. Riley and some of the AWESOME castmembers of the #ASPiRE.tv web series #THEGRADUATESNYC. Now the season has wrapped, you can see all 8 webisodes here: http://www.aspire.tv/shows/the-graduates-nyc/videos/. And there will be #THEBOSSCHOIR: https://www.facebook.com/patrick.l.riley/videos/10154176021623737/?l=1634402992647739097. Please come sing to all of the fellow SCORPIOs and me. Let us know you’re coming by clicking here: www.all_star_karaoke.eventbrite.com.
• a pair of tickets for THE COLOR PURPLE on Broadway;
• a pair of tickets for SWEET, The National Black Theatre; etc.
4. #ALLSTARKARAOKE Artist-in-Residence Contemporary Artist Shenna Vaughn will have items for exhibit and sale. Plus, she’ll have an announcement on how you can own your own #ShennaVaughn
6. MEANWHILE, let us see you at our SEASON of FOUR #ALLSTARKARAOKE brunches at #MISTHARLEM – starting Sunday, October 30, 2016 from NOON to 5p (Costumes welcome).
EVENTBRITE LINK here:
Some know but I’ll share again: Ant and I met the opening night of “Oprah Winfrey presents The Color Purple”. He was covering it for STARZ. I was covering it for aforementioned title producer’s talk show. Ten years later, Ant and I are HERE! And my ARISE 360 Broadway/theater segment producer Derrick Hemphill and I got to meet the cast of on THE COLOR PURPLE Revival for Broadway – due in November 2015. At Chelsea’s Pier 59 as the backdrop, we got to hang out with the ladies on their first day together: Cynthia Erivo as Celie (She played the part in the London run); Jennifer Hudson as Shug (EGOT anyone? She has the Oscar and the Grammy); and Danielle Brooks of “Orange is the New Black” FAME as Sophia. #thecolorpurple
all star karaoke
Hope we can get Miss Hudson and the ladies up to Billie's Black presents ALL STAR KARAOKE with Patrick L. Riley. We are UP AND RUNNING through mid-July! Join us next Tuesday for some special giveaways – including MISS JESSIE’s and a raffle for tickets to see the APOLLO THEATER's staged adaptation of E. Lynn Harris' New York Times best-selling debut novel "Invisible Life"….
This week was a BLAST! We welcomed another group of business journalism interns under the leadership of my NABJ brothers Will Sutton and Garry Howard. Shout out to the #DJNFbiz15 – the Dow Jones News Fund Business Internship program…
…we toasted and serenaded our ALL STAR KARAOKE show-runner Derrick Hemphill…
…and we welcomed singer Kylie Marcus Blue who sang her new single WONDER – available on I-Tunes and all platforms.
HERE'S A HIGHLIGHT VIDEO:
ALSO IN THE HOUSE: Celebrity designer Indashio came, saw, and conquered --- with the promise to return! MUCH LOVE!
Was also a treat to have ARISE ENTERTAINMENT 360 CO-HOST SHANNON LANIER in the house! I fill in for him at ARISE 360 when he's away. Now, we must get MISS LOLA OGUNNAIKE and the rest of the ARISE gang to come hang out at ALL STAR KARAOKE.
COME JOIN US NEXT WEEK – prepared to sing your favorite DIVA in the first hour of the night. We’ll have a “little giveaway” for the participant who BRINGS IT!
RESERVATIONS are HIGHLY RECOMMENDED – if you want to sit and enjoy some SOUL FOOD & COCKTAILS! 212.280.2248. #DJNFbiz15 #billiesblack #allstarkaraoke
nectar imperial rose
Shout out to BFF Derrick Hemphill who invited me out to his birthday celebration extension: a Moet & Chandon-sponsored TOAST (of Nectar Imperial Rose - one of my FAVS!). The event at Cipriani was to introduce Nectar Imperial Rose's FIRST CREATIVE COLLABORATION: LIMITED EDITION BY MARCELO BURLON! FUN ROOM of GREAT FRIENDS and INDUSTRY BUDDIES I've not seen in a minute. ALSO IN THE HOUSE: my EVERY-STYLISH & GQ NEPHEW: HERMAN L. RILEY III. FUN to stumble into him... and a hang a bit! XO #MOETXMARCELO