Some features to look forward to:
1.) "PATRICK'S POP UP(DATES)" will feature stories from pop culture, music, theater, fashion, and the entertainment industry at large.
2.) "The Life of Riley" will also introduce a "take-a-look-at-your-life" section (READ: sort of an advice column), where I will help readers come up with their own questions and answers around what "ways of being" are working (or not working) to have them acheive their respective goals and live their best lives. This section is called "WHO YOU BE?".
3.) Additonally, there will be a free-flowing, organic section called "TESTIFY" from which I will pull from my own life's journey to share and hopefully inspire. Some of the fare may be new musings and experiences. Other times, I may pull from my journals and past sharings to shed light on some uncomfortable truths that I've experienced and that may perhaps play a role in healing someone else's wounds as the real-life experience did for me. From my experience of covering 9/11 as a freelance journalist to courageously coming out (as gay) to my family, "TESTIFY" promises to move those who choose to read it.
4.) And a section titled "PR" (like my initials, but also like "public relations") will include press clips from any coverage I get.
Entries in Ruben Santiago Hudson (2)
Walk Tall Girl Productions brings FREE Broadway TIX to ALL STAR KARAOKE at MIST Harlem on Sun Oct 30 at NOON
THIS JUST IN!
1. #ALLSTARKARAOKE at #MISTHARLEM is HAPPY TO REPORT that my dear sister friend in the #LIFEOFRILEY, Marcia Pendelton and her WALK TALL GIRL PRODUCTIONS, are coming on board to PARTNER with us Sunday, October 30, 2016 from NOON until 5p!
WALK TALL GIRL PRODUCTIONS SOCIAL MEDIA:
My social media:
2. Any THEATER LOVERS out there!!!?????? Well, you may want to beef up on your THEATER knowledge because WALK TALL GIRL PRODUCTIONS is bringing a SWEEP of TICKETS for some of the HOTTEST SHOWS the New York City STAGES have to offer – from iconic theatres: Manhattan Theatre Club; Signature Theatre; Public Theater; and The New Group. Throughout the afternoon - between karaoke selections - we will be SHOUTING OUT some "theater trivia" for our guests to answer. The first right answer each time will get you a pair of tickets to one of these spectacular shows coming to Broadway and Off-Broadway. WALK TALL GIRL PRODUCTIONS has partnered with ALL STAR KARAOKE for years - including successful activations with MOTOWN THE MUSICAL and more!
3. TICKET GIVEAWAYS for the following productions:
- August Wilson's Jitney on Broadway directed by Ruben Santiago-Hudson (presented by the Manhattan Theatre Club)
- Master Harold...and the boys (Signature Theatre)
-The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World AKA The Negro Book of the Dead by Pulitzer Prize Winner Suzan-Lori Parks (Signature Theatre)
- Party People featuring Universes; developed and directed by Liesl Tommy (Eclipsed) (Public Theater)
-Sweet Charity -- a fresh interpretation of the musical featuring a multicultural cast and starring two-time Tony winner Sutton Foster (The New Group)
4. ADDITIONAL TICKET GIVEAWAYS: The $5 COVER for #ALLSTARKARAOKE gets you in the door; qualifies you to participate in a RAFFLE to win:
* a pair of tickets to see “The Color Purple” on Broadway
* a pair of tickets to see SWEET at “The National Black Theatre”
* a MISS JESSIE’s VIP bag of FULL-SIZED PRODUCT; National Best Seller “Miss Jessie’s: Creating a Successful Business from Scratch – Naturally” (Harper Collins/Amistad) [available in paperback January 2017]; and more!
5. Our #ALLSTARKARAOKE presenting sponsor MISS JESSIE’s will be in the house with MISS JESSIE'S SAMPLE BAG GIVEAWAYS for ALL GUESTS!
6. #ALLSTARKARAOKE Artist-in-Residence Contemporary Artist Shenna Vaughn will have items for exhibit and sale. Plus, she’ll have an announcement on how you can own your own #ShennaVaughn
7. #SWEET is the debut piece for the National Black Theatre’s 48th Season: IN PURSUIT OF BLACK JOY. The cast of SWEET offers up a DISCOUNT CODE to all of our #LIFEOFRILEY and #ALLSTARKARAOKE fam. Just go to the National Black Theatre: www.Nationalblacktheatre.orgor call 212-352-3101 and use code RISE.
8. MEANWHILE, let us see you at our SEASON of FOUR #ALLSTARKARAOKE brunches at #MISTHARLEM – starting Sunday, October 30, 2016 from NOON to 5p (Costumes welcome).
9. We'll get in as many songs as we can while enjoying our ALL STAR KARAOKE company one more time while also celebrating the birthday of KIANA!!!
10. ALL STAR KARAOKE is powered by Derrick Styles from#KARAOKESUNDAYS in Mount Vernon’s #BUNGALOW, HOST of the OFFICIAL “ALL STAR KARAOKE” AFTER SET on Sunday Nights – from 9p to 2am: 523 S Fulton Ave.
11. SOME KEY SOCIAL MEDIA and HASHTAGS
12. EVENTBRITE LINK here:
By way of our mutual BFFs Carl Nelson and Sidra Smith, Tichina Arnold has become an uber-cool friend, often chronicled in "...The Life of Riley..." - from casual hangs to L.A. sightings to the night she joined us at Native Restaurant for "All-Star Karaoke Thursday Night" (http://thelifeofriley.squarespace.com/rilys-blog/tag/tichina-arnold). Whenever we all connect, it's a good time! With some of Tichina's own fam in tow and my BFF Ern in the mix, we all gathered at Sid's place for an impromptu, day-after-Thanksgiving feast - comprised of delightful dishes Sid had prepared the day prior and lovingly warmed up for us to enjoy. Seasoned to perfection, the menu included turkey, dressing, collard greens, yams, macaroni and cheese, sweet potato pie, and more! For entertainment, Tichina gave our ears a sneak-peek of her new music (for a CD on which she's been working and plans to release - maybe independently). I've always been a fan of Tichina, THE SINGER. As she writes most of the material, I can now say I'm a fan of Tichina, THE SINGER/SONGWRITER! Meanwhile, Tichina, THE ACTRESS, is busy as ever ---- celebrating TV Land's acquiring 11 more episodes of her hit sitcom (with THE NANNY's Fran Drescher): "Happily Divorced" (www.tvland.com/shows/happily-divorced). So, Season 2 - which premieres next Wednesday, November 28th (with a guest star turn by Joan Collins) - will now run for 24 episodes. ANOTHER NIGHT during THANKSGIVING weekend, we found ourselves in Brooklyn at SOCO Restaurant (www.socobk.com/) and we got to hang out with girlfriend Vilay and her beau. A little karaoke afterwards at DUETS 53 rounded that night out. AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST, we are GRATEFUL to dear friends Danielle and Bernard who threw a MOST-DELIGHTFUL THANKSGIVING DINNER – menu including: Marinated Roasted Turkey; Baked Glazed Ham (a la Ernest Maynor); Red Beans & Rice; Caribbean Mac & Cheese with Smokey Chipotle Peppers; Cornbread Stuffing with Andouille Sausage & Aromatic Vegetables; Candied Yams; Potato Salad; Sauteed String Beans with Shallots & Pancetta; Spicy Apple Cranberry Relish (and my favorite Cranberry Sauce from the can). Cocktails included Torched Cherry Sangria and Homemade Bajan Rum Punch. DESSERT included Fresh Fruit Tart, Carrot Cake, Sweet Potato Pie, and a Red Velvet Cake (for my birthday: SURPRISE!). Bernard’s parents; cousin; and aunt were in the mix as well… and we had a blast!
With Chicago buddies Jaci and Kelli in tow, we were HONORED to be in the presence – once again – of Tony Award winner RUBEN SANTIAGO-HUDSON. He's Director of August Wilson's "The Piano Lesson" in NYC. (Shout out to my friend, Walk Tall Girl Productions/Black Theater Online’s Marcia Pendelton (http://walktallgirlproductions.com/). She made sure we were all in the house as she works on the marketing/audience team for this show and many shows – Broadway and off-Broadway). Ruben directs August Wilson’s “The Piano Lesson”… and we got to enjoy a wine & cheese/photo-op moment with him (for personal catch up); but prior, a discussion between Ruben and Vinnie Bagwell (the sculptor who created the art that is on the piano) took place…and they each talked about their process, the history and themes behind the sculptures, Ruben's personal connection with August Wilson and SO MUCH MORE! I’ve hung out with Ruben a time or few in New York City – including a run-in at a Halle Berry movie premiere (http://thelifeofriley.squarespace.com/rilys-blog/2010/12/1/i-recall-the-scenes-that-never-die.html) and I interviewed him at the American Stroke Association’s benefit at The Apollo last year (http://thelifeofriley.squarespace.com/rilys-blog/2011/5/15/nothing-ventured-nothing-gained.html). He’s always a JOY and ready to tell amazing stories – on and off the stage. And now that “Piano Lesson” has been extended to January 13th, you MUST check it out yet another of his directorial masterpieces: http://www.signaturetheatre.org/tickets/production.aspx?pid=2371.
Toasts all around for our 7 YEAR ANNIVERSARY! Got one more toast in with Chicago friends Jaci and Kelli. From there, on the actual day, we laid low at home before heading out to toast with friends Carl Nelson, Andy Diaz, and others at NABJ buddy Taj Tsonga’s place followed by a New Ro HIGH-FIVE at A Loft with my Amazing Grace Nichole; Troy; Michelle Sanchez-Boyce; Nelson Boyce; Cynthia Burgos; Elijah; Dawn; Tracey; and the rest of the crew! We even snuck in a late night/early morning Amy Ruth meal. Then, Sunday brunch (and lots more toasting) with The Porters…and MISS NINA! Shout out to Rakia for the "Cosby Show" nod! CUTE SHIRT!
HAPPILY THANKFUL, INDEED!